The personalization of devices is currently popular at homes, workplaces and mobile devices are becoming tailored to the needs of individuals. Technology is a prominent driver in the change of education market which has led to student oriented learning that has a personalized approach. A shift from emphasis on age and skillset to the likes and interests has happened predominantly making educators to move according to student’s needs and demands. Learning is a collaborative process where students are involved in designing of their own schools and are also contributing distinct feedbacks for the type of environment they want to live in.
The 21st century designing trends promotes interaction and collaboration which is why schools now resemble public collaborative spaces which is flexible, agile with no fixed partition as the spaces are required to use for diverse functions. The open plan classrooms are the present running school design structure where the connectivity seems easier between scholars and pupils. But this calls up for the requirement of quiet zones for individual study as well as interactive spaces. Spaces seem to be more sophisticated with the use of impactful colors to support school spirit and a sense of belongingness.
Teachers are using web based resources to offer a more interactive experience for students. The data gathered from teachers and students are filtered as per student’s need. This kind of shift in learning has allowed for a hybrid learning culture which is more viable as students require solutions for their better understanding
Another trend in school design is integration of tech oriented spaces for the inculcation of tech based learning. Unlike the traditional model, the IT sector has a bigger role in the education market. The design and model need to be sustainable as per the requirement of 21st century demand.
The change in the education system has only paved way for a much more enhanced learning which aims at honing not only the academic skills but non scholastic skills as well to attain holistic growth for students. The systematized trends that is happening presented a whole new style of learning which has created a way for students to think artistically and create a medium that evokes a sense of gaining wisdom from all possible sources in a newly designed environment
Let’s look at the current designing trends that are dominating the entire educational domain.
1. Design that defines the institution: this is not a new trend but it is being followed since many years to make a statement or increase their reputation. Mostly, schools attempt to create a unique design which gets ingrained in parent’s mind as the first impression of the school is always its infrastructure. As it is a tradition of learning institutions to grab student attention into studying by demonstrating their design
2. Sustainable: The architects are renovating old buildings and converting them into schools and universities or reusing redundant materials for new projects. The new concept also include promoting green school and using eco- friendly furniture and materials to develop a sustainable environment
3. Flexible: In traditional design, the chairs and tables in a classroom face the teacher with a blackboard. However these days learning demands to be flexible to suit a professor and a student’s demand. So, the furniture manufacturers have realized the need to have tables, chairs and whiteboards that compliments the seminar layout or break out group structure and sometimes back to the former design depending upon the need and requirement.
4. Sound management: co-existing within a single space for teachers and students requires a higher level of patience. The demand is for acoustic panels in each classroom which reduces the chance of noise from the classroom going outside. School, staff and pupils are supposed to work in close proximity for good academic performance.
5. Integration of technology: it is critical to keep in pace with the latest technology to implement in schools because utilization of digital resources has become vital. Access to wireless connection, numerous electrical equipment and multiple screens allow both scholar and pupil to move within space, collaborate with others and create engaging presentations.
The changing tradition of education is creating a deeper impact which is heading towards a reform that not only presents a systematized curriculum but an outstanding educational design which gives a meaning to the vision of the institution in its true sense.
The Changing Dynamics of Educational Infrastructure In terms of School Architecture and Interior Design
School Serv Designs
Opp to MIMS Cresenta, Main Road, Kannamangala
Village, Bidarahalli Hobli, Whitefield,
Bangalore-560115, Karnataka, India.
Contact Us : +91 95133 77282/ 83/ 84/ 85
( 9AM - 6 PM | Mon - Fri )