Currently, we are running at a time when K-12 educational institutions are invoking a sense of systematized and structured learning. This form of approach is wielding its power towards a more enhanced and effective education for the future purpose
The urban K-12 school architecture delineates several challenges besides executing programmatic goal, the project should provide strategies for open social space, efficient parking, traffic management, outdoor and indoor area etc. The expansive school sites located in urban and rural settings is often built around highways, railway lines or densely populated neighborhood which presents issues impacting the design and architecture of that surrounding.
Given below are the challenges while constructing urban K-12 architecture:
1. Important factor to consider while establishing a school is the locale or the neighborhood of the institution where building is located. The communities will expect a certain kind of balance with the school’s identity and the character development of the neighborhood to provide a certain value and dignity to the community not only as an educational amenity but a rich cultural asset.
2. In order to maximize the utilization of spaces, the buildings need to be constructed in such a way to use as multipurpose spaces. Options are large like fitness or dining rooms of a single classroom can be used for science related activities if needed. Some other methods that provide durability and flexibility for buildings are movable walls, advanced technological equipment and flexible furnishing.
3. Schools work typically when they extend their daily use spaces for non- scholastic activities and for community purpose after school hours. Assembly spaces, dining rooms and auditorium can be accessed by public and rooms which are located on top floor remain secured for school functions or weekend activities.
Safety and security is the top most priority of any institution in urban or rural context. Some of the tactics used by architects to increase security are:
1. Architects can avoid high walls or fencing around the school building and to make up for that they can build a beautiful courtyard where the students will feel secure providing access to the views of the nature.
2. It is advisable to have one entry point and several exit points to control entrances. It would be easier for security guards to enforce security using surveillance cameras, bullet proof glass doors, screening device etc.
3. Providing safe zones in the classrooms can assure staffs and students to have areas to huddle just in case of an intruder in the campus. It can be often marked with different flooring to differentiate it from other spaces.
Architects are the creators who are responsible for giving life to the walls integrated with values and morals which are to be imparted to students. So, it is important to meticulously design school building with conviction and diligence as this place moulds their future.
The Changing Dynamics of Educational Infrastructure In terms of School Architecture and Interior Design
School Serv Designs
Opp to MIMS Cresenta, Main Road, Kannamangala
Village, Bidarahalli Hobli, Whitefield,
Bangalore-560115, Karnataka, India.
Contact Us : +91 95133 77282/ 83/ 84/ 85
( 9AM - 6 PM | Mon - Fri )